Tuesday, April 15, 2003

I've spent the past four or so hours editing my novel, and it hasn't been that bad, since I've had the occasional distraction and plenty of drinks. I spent my day at work putting up with some of the most horrendous, unintelligent fuckers imaginable- all women, incidentally, except for one of my coworkers, who's just a pussy- and reading Baudolino, which, so far, is damned good.

One of the main reasons Eco's newest novel interests me is because it deals with Byzantium. After reading an excellent short history of that culture, I can freely admit that they fascinate me, but, admittedly, so do many other things from that time period. I only wish that modern scholars had more primary sources to work with, which would give us a better understanding of that time in history. True, a lot of primary sources are probably dubious, but nevertheless, they beat information that's been passed along for almost 600 years.

Matt Smith and I are envisioning the construction and outfitting of a zeppelin, which will ply the skies in ultimate art deco luxury coupled with sensible hydroponics and state- of-the-art defense systems. The crew will wear classic naval uniforms topped with fezzes, and it will be a perfect example of aero-autonomy, since we will pay no tribute to any nation other than that of the nomadic traveler and the free spirit.

I want to take a shower, but I also want to go straight to bed and read a bit. I know I won't wake up in time to shower, but damn, sleep sounds ideal, especially since I'm listening to one of the greatest sleep-inducing (and not in a bad way) songs ever, Cathedral's "Astral Queen."

A glass of water and bed. That's what I've chosen.

np: Cathedral, Endtyme

No comments: