Sunday, January 15, 2006

Jump at the apex!

Last night I went and saw Hypocrisy and Nile. I was supposed to see Raging Speedhorn but missed them; instead, I saw Soilent Green, albeit briefly. Hypocrisy played a set whose incredibility made up for its brevity; I got to hear "Roswell 47," "Fire in the Sky," and, amazingly, "Fractured Millenium." When I heard the keyboard intro to "Fractured Millenium," I looked over at my brother, whose neck ended up as damaged as mine in nomine headbanging, and almost lost my shit. "Fire in the Sky" and "Fractured Millenium" are two of my favorite Hypocrisy songs, if not THE two favorite, so it was a fucking treat.

Alas, Nile was nothing to write home about, and we left three or four songs in. The sound was awful, and all you could hear were the solos, the vocals, and some of the drums. I saw Nile a couple years ago, but left early for entirely different reasons, i.e. time constraints or something along those lines. This time, I was psyched to hear shit off of Annihilation of the Wicked, which I did, but like I said, the sound sucked so badly that even I, who demanded that we stick around, wanted to split. I did pick up Karl Sanders' Saurian Meditation and Nile and Hypocrisy tour shirts, though, so even with my unfortunate dismissal of one of death metal's finest, good times were had.

On Saturday, I spent all afternoon sitting in my driveway drinking beer and shooting the shit with Vanessa, and later Dave, my brother, and Matt. Afterwards, my brother, Vanessa, and I trekked to Marfreless, home of cute, friendly waitresses and subsidized drinks, and then ended up at Cherryhurst Park here in Montrose, where the three of us enjoyed swingsets, slides, drinking fountains, wood chip ground cover, and declarations of creating playgrounds for adults when any of us have the finances.

Aside from the absence of certain folks, and having not written shit lately, things have been solid this weekend. Oh, and I now own almost as many pairs of jeans without holes as I do pairs with holes.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I am still nursing bruises from when I fell off that damn horse. It mocks me.