Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Uninteresting musings, part the millionth.

Hell yeah. Demilich is touring the States soon, and they're coming to Houston on a Sunday, which means I don't have to miss out and thereby regret my decision to go to work instead of indulging in death metal.

Even cooler, word is that Venom- V-E-N-O-fucking-M- will be in the US later this year too. No dates have been announced yet, but I suspect I'll have to travel quite a ways to see them. The only other band these days that I'd do the same for is Bolt Thrower, who may tour later in the year as well. Better start hoarding cash and vacation days, self.

In other nifty metal news, I learned, mere hours before Herr Luftschiffhauptmann informed me of the same, that vests like mine are referred to in certain foreign lands as "kutten" (singular: "kutte"). On the topic of said vest, I don't miss the sleeves at all, though I need to find a home for the patches that still cling to them like sewn-on parasites, and come cold weather, I'll have to resort to the DDR Polizei overcoat or Bundesrepublik army parka my brother left behind (the former was already mine, purchased nine years ago in London, but it was essentially stolen from me).

Sunday evening will be the first meeting of the local writing group Andy took it upon himself to set up. I have no idea what I'll bring to the table, but I know I don't want to just read a chunk of Unheimlich. Another problem is my lack of printing capacity- I reckon I'll have to have someone else print something, or write whatever it is out in longhand. If I used a fountain pen, I could say "How very Stephensonian of you, Smith."

Finally, I've been cramming a lot of reading into my maw lately: Peter Singer's Animal Liberation, Peter Lamborn Wilson's Escape from the 19th Century, Guy Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier, more of Kierkegaard's The Sickness Unto Death, Ron Rozelle's Into That Good Night, Gordon Prange's At Dawn We Slept, various magazines, and the usual array of online articles.

We are down to our last handful of cartridges. Fix bayonets!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Oh, yeah. A printer. I hadn't thought of that.