Friday, May 26, 2006

Here she comes, my beautiful world!

Aloha, folks. Another Thursday night/Friday morning finds me here again, rejoicing that I don't have to go to work for the next three days, full of hope and in possession of enough books, tobacco, music, and alcohol to get me through the wee hours. Which, I reckon, aren't that wee for yours truly; I've been living in them for almost two years now, so the wee hours for a wight like me are probably more like eight or nine o'clock in the morning. Anyway, stupid ruminations aside, the long dark night that is the work week is over, and a beautiful, warm day of freedom is dawning.

Anyway.

I put on Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus a little while ago for the first time since shortly after I purchased it. It's so easy to forget what a complete genius Mr. Cave is- I know, I know, that statement is completely bogus. It's impossible to forget what a genius he is, but it's easy to not listen to his records all the time, at least these days.

Enough.

I hope to be in Memphis sometime within the next two months, spending time with a woman I've loved for almost a decade now, a woman I haven't seen in person since we were teenagers, a woman who I've planned things with almost every year since '98, only to see those plans fall through for whatever reason. Who knows if Memphis will happen, but I do know that our friendship won't dissipate if Memphis never materializes.

All right. See y'all later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how opinions differ. You think Cave is a genius. I think he's a depraved, macabre loonie. I think Pat Metheny is a genius, others think he writes music that's good to go to sleep to. Music may be the universal language, but there are millions of different dialects.

the corpse said...

Wow, a reader that I don't know! Interesting.

I can't comment on Metheny. The only thing I remember hearing of his was some free-jazz-crossover stuff on a tape in my old roommate's car. I'll look into him, though.

I like your statement about universality vs. dialect. Very apt.