Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Ex libris finisterra.

The all-call for actors and actresses who want to be in All Right has begun. Say the word if you're interested.

I acquired more books in the past three days than I usually would in six months, and many of them were free (thanks again, Ashley). It puts me in a quandary, though, because I keep picking up one book after another and wanting to keep reading it, only to put it down and check out another one. This could never happen if I went back to school, where I'd be forced to read. Where's the fun in that?

Anyone ever wonder about their composure should the world end? Not abruptly, but just slowly enough to give folks time to wake up (literally, since lots of people are bound to be asleep when the news arrives) and think. I think a lot of us believe we'll be stoic, and/or cling to our loved ones, and/or be frightened to the point of shitting ourselves and praying to gods we gave up long ago, but are these our only options? Would glorious indifference fall under the "stoic" reaction? I suppose that if this scenario ever occurs, there won't be anyone left to analyze and write about the human results, so it's a moot point in the long run, but an interesting thought for the time being.

The thought game above stems indirectly from something I pondered earlier this evening, namely the attraction of post-apocalyptic scenarios as displayed in film and literature. Is it mainly a Eurocentric (i.e. white) fascination, or is it universal? Do Taoists worry about the end of the world as we know it? African animists? What about people that know nothing of nuclear weapons or eschatological religions? See, this would be something to pursue were I to become a student again, but that ain't gonna happen (and not only because I can write "ain't gonna" with no trace of irony or shame, as I just noticed- what's with tonight's refusal of further education, anyway?). I'd much rather have these kinds of discussions on porches, and disseminate the findings via the rest of the folks I was jawing with.

I think it's time to go buy cigarettes, or maybe just keep listening to Moonspell.

No comments: