Wednesday, May 28, 2003

It looks like everything's in place for my novel, Axis Mundi Sum, to go to print in the near future. I hope I get a
set of galleys to look at before the text is sent to the printer, just so I can make sure everything looks all right. In all
honesty, I'm really nervous about this whole process, since it's the first time I've done it, I have few concrete ideas on
how to promote the book, and, naturally, I have doubts as to the quality and salesworthiness (is that a word?) of my work.
If I'm lucky, I'll sell a couple thousand copies and get reviews from quiet, far-flung corners of the literary world, which is
all I really want. Sure, I'd love to make enough to quit my day job, and I'd certainly like to get future novels published-
particularly Critical Hits, the one I'm working on now, but frankly, I've already achieved one of my life's goals just
by getting a novel published. I'd merely like to extend that dream to last a lifetime. I say lifetime because I'd like my work
to revert to the public domain no more than a decade after I leave this mortal coil.


My ferret, clever fellow that he is, escaped some time last night, and was found in my neighbors' garage, thank God. I had
no idea how he made his break, but after getting home, getting apprised of the situation, and stationing myself on the porch
for a cigarette, I saw him dart under my car! It was then that I discovered his escape route via the recently-vacated dryer connection.
When Jay moved out his washer and dryer, it left a gaping ferret-sized hole to the outside world, and Tim Finnegan promptly
investigated the hole's explorational possibilities. Now the laundry room is closed off, so I shouldn't have to worry. Christ, though,
I was horrified that he got out, since who knows what could have killed him. Now he's safe, though, and getting plenty of tasty
raisins.


Oh yeah: kim chee and beer mix strangely.

No comments: