Saturday, March 05, 2005

I was going to write an obtuse (at least to outsiders) review of Om's new record, Variations On A Theme, but fuck it. All that needs to be said is that the breakup of Sleep* is not the tragedy it could've been. The triumvirate of Hakius, Pike, and Cisneros have gone their own ways, and all of them have mastered their art.

While that was the only thing that needed to be said, I also want to impress upon all of you that Om will demonstrate that guitars are completely unnecessary. I have never heard a bass tone like Al Cisneros', and I doubt I ever will.

Buy this record, turn the volume up, and know that the world is not the failure you think it may be.


*When Sleep broke up, Matt Pike formed High on Fire, and recently the other two members, Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius, have formed Om. This is why Sleep has been mentioned.

No comments: