Friday, March 04, 2005

A couple years ago, when I still had a subscription to Modern Drunkard magazine, they ran an article on drinking slang. I was particularly impressed by "bayoneting the wounded," or drinking all the half-empty, possibly contaminated drinks left over from last night's party/drinking session. It was the name that got me, and not the act itself, just so you know.

This morning I've ever improved upon or sunk lower than the practice of bayoneting the wounded. Having no fresh beer in the house, I found a couple half-full tallboys from earlier in the day and put them in the freezer. While flat, a little time spent in an icy chamber has rendered the beers relatively palatable, if only to desperate folks like yours truly. I've labeled beers treated in such a way "resuscitated casualties," after the ghoulish Nazi zombies described in the Call of Cthulhu supplement Delta Green. Like said zombies, re-chilled flat beers get the job done, but there's something intrinsically unnatural about them. It seems that the taint of necromancy isn't limited only to dealings with corpses.

No comments: