Monday, August 25, 2003

I'm not particularly well-read when it comes to Situationist theory and praxis, but the notion of the Spectacle seems to be making a lot of sense lately. I think I'm going to write some notes on how the recent trend of phone cams, "blogs" (that word never ceases to sound repugnant), and instant web publishing are nothing more than people being deluded into thinking they're beating the Spectacle. Personally, while taking part in this, ahem, phenomenon, I don't think that it's some kind of reverse-media salvation for independent thought; instead, when everyone is transmitting every sordid- or, more importantly, boring and banal- aspect of their lives to the world at large, everyone's just grabbing their piece of the Spectacle and wrapping themselves in it. Call me elitist, but I don't give a fuck what some technophile with a Nokia and an RSS feed thinks, says, or does. How often do they make any real comments about the shit they're uploading? It's all just logorrhea, with images instead of words.

Yeah, I know I'm part of it, but you don't see me plastering snapshots of my walk to work on the net and pretending like it means anything. I'm just writing for the hell of it and for the amusement of my buddies. I hope that sometime in the near future people get sick of seeing constant streams of AV bullshit... fuck this, I'm going to go enjoy some unmediated beer-drinking and conversation with my brother.

Fuck you, "blogosphere."

No comments: