Monday, August 25, 2003

I played Magic: The Gathering for the first time in almost ten years tonight, and it was mighty fun.

There was something else, something far more crucial, that I was going to mention, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was.

Wait, I just recalled. I love running across web sites that haven't been updated since 1997 or so. Inevitably, these sites, which are often about as aesthetic as an anorexic she-goat but as potentially full of content as a Geocities/Tripod site can be, will disappear into the great informational void that the Internet exists in. Nobody will really catalogue all the things people said at the end of the pre-all-inclusive era of Internet use, so- though I fail to wholly believe myself, I still feel it anyway- all that knowledge will essentially vanish, and we'll be lucky to find a statistically more vapid person with a marginally less visually shitty site blabbing about something from '98 or '99 when we go hunting "outdated" pages.

I don't want anyone to think I'm some sort of serious nostalgist/propagandist for the IT (and cultural) bubble, because I can't really fool myself into thinking that said period was inherently great. It just happened, and it was interesting, but because the notion of having a real memory is dying off among people, nobody will really remember a thing unless it stays cached in Google.

I feel so old when I think about this sort of thing, but when I realize that I simply have (what I consider to be) a better grasp on the fickle flow of history, especially when it's as mediated as it is, than anyone who takes all this for granted. There was a point in life that lacked IM and Yahoo, though in all honesty I'm rapidly forgetting it myself. I guess I'm just not appreciative of those who have no understanding of history and its place in culture, pop or otherwise.

No comments: