Sunday, February 26, 2006

Takk.

Tonight Dave and I saw Sigur Ros live. They are Dave's favorite band, and I'd barely heard any of their music, so we were at opposite ends of the appreciation spectrum, more or less. This changed as soon as I bought an overpriced beer and we took our seats to see and hear Amina, the opening band, play. They were outstanding; I don't think I've ever witnessed such an eclectic, beautiful performance. The sheer brilliance of those four multi-talented musicians was almost overwhelming.

Then came Sigur Ros, with the four ladies of Amina providing additional strings/keys/etc. Holy shit. Like I said, I moved immediately from the unknown end to the amazingly impressed end of the appreciation spectrum. Three or four songs- the first, the last, and a couple in the middle- hit me in ways that I knew were possible, but had never actually experienced in a live music setting. I really don't know how to explain it, but Sigur Ros' performance was like listening to several people play the soundtrack of a beautiful, gut-wrenching movie that was never filmed. It was easily one of the best concerts I've ever seen, and I don't doubt that the memory of it- not as a discrete evening of my life, but more like the memory of the impression it made upon my heart and mind- will remain with me for a long, long time.

Takk, Dave, for bringing me along.

No comments: