Saturday, February 11, 2006

"Guard my eighteen Lone Stars!"

Last night Jay, Tracey, and I went to Walter's on Washington to see God's Temple of Family Deliverance, The Sword, Priestess, and Early Man. Of the four bands, the only weak one was Priestess, not because they were bad, but they didn't really seem to fit into the lineup very well. They were more rock n' roll than metal. Anyway, GTFD, who are from here in Houston, were fuckin' killer- loud as hell, slow, doomed out. Austin's The Sword lived up to the hype, and played a tight set. Early Man ripped it up, too, and encored with "War Eagle." Throughout the course of the night, I headbanged myself into a weekend's worth of pain, drank a shitload of beer, got popped in the head by some passing asshole who wasn't watching what he was doing, and met Blacky, the former bassist for Voivod. He was working the merch table for Priestess, who are from Montreal, and I felt like a tool when I didn't realize who he was. He was gracious about it, and signed my jacket just below the Voivod patch affixed thereto.

Jay and Tracey had a good time too. I'm always worried about dragging folks out to metal shows, but both of them were as impressed as I was by GTFD and Early Man, though they missed most of The Sword's set. After the show, we had a drink at the Dirt, then parted ways. I fell asleep watching the X-Files, which was an excellent ending to an excellent day.

No comments: