Friday, December 30, 2005

Wolphin #1

I just watched the first number of Wolphin, the DVD periodical that came with the newest issue of The Believer. Before I watched it, I was rather apathetic to the notion of "bonus" material being appended to this magazine; after all, their music issue featured a CD of stuff that, without even listening to, I blew off- modern indie rock bands doing indie rock covers, I think. Yawn. And this newest issue of The Believer focused on visual art, which isn't something I've ever been terribly interested in. Thankfully, after reading the magazine, I concluded that yeah, it's not my thing, but there was a fair amount of interesting material, so it's casual.

Wolphin turned out to be mighty nifty. Well, most of it. The thing I liked best was the short-short film Are You the Favorite Person of Anybody?, a question I answered to myself before even hitting 'play.' Other noteworthy material: The Delicious, about a man's attraction to and relationship with a pantsuit he found in his wife's closet, and The Big Empty, which involved the exploration of female nether regions in the most literal sense of the term. All in all, I was impressed, and I suppose it wouldn't offend anyone involved with the project for me to compare the films included to, well, an issue of McSweeney's, if McSweeney's also included odd Middle Eastern cartoons. (Wait, it might as well; like all McSweeney's stuff, The Believer always seems to feel the need to include some kind of non-sequitur, usually visual, which Wolphin also had. Point being that Eggers-backed projects, no matter the focus, tend to have some fluff, albeit more interesting fluff than what you'd find elsewhere.)

Time permitting, I'm going to go see Brokeback Mountain and/or Capote tomorrow. If I'm lucky, I'll catch one of 'em, 'cause I doubt I'll wake up in time to see both, especially if I have to walk to the theatre.

And now, dear reader, it's off to pay a visit to Nasht and Kaman-Thah- who I finally met, after much effort, not long ago.

No comments: