Friday, December 02, 2005

Proof that being good at what you do isn't always useful:

I didn't get laid off today.

In some way, I wish I had, but fuck it. Having a steady paycheck until I find a better job works for me, especially around this time of year. Regarding the job-tenure deal, though: fuck it. I don't want a "career." Never have. If that means I'm somehow less of an adult, fine, but at least I won't go to my grave as some grey-haired, Medicare-obsessed, mortgage-ridden old dude who bought into the "work all your life so you can spend retirement in senility" lie that too many people I know are buying into daily. I'd rather take my dirt nap poor, devoid of property, and rich in spirit/mind, thank you very much, even if that means I've got emphysema, scrape by on Social Security, don't own a home, and have no immediate family.

Or so I say now... but you know what? Fuck your American Dream, your western capitalism, and your suburban complacency, especially if you claimed to dislike such things in the first place. I'm gonna try to stick to my guns as long as I can, even if it earns scorn from supposedly "better" members of society.

Li Po over Byron any motherfuckin' drunken day of the week.

Better to go like a Chinese poet than a goddamned English nobleman.

No comments: