Friday, December 23, 2005

Dealing with internal organs: II

"You do understand that the heart wasn't the big thing for them, right?"
"Of course I do. But I'm not looking at it from their perspective."
"That's unfair, then."
"No, it's not. Just because they didn't care about the heart-"
"They did care. That's why they placed a scarab amulet over it."
"Fuck that. Protective or not, shit-dwelling beetles over my heart is no way to go."
"Why are you so up in arms about this?"
"Because the heart deserves better. Mine, at least."
"Can't you just be happy for the rest of their accomplishments? Embalming, architecture, hieroglyphics..."
"No."
"..."
"You want to know why? Because I don't want to. Sure, I know deep down that I'm pleased about those things. But they're fucking with the human heart, and I can't handle that. Beetles that roll balls of shit around are not appropriate guardians of the heart, whatever mythology or theology you buy into."
"You're being selfish."
"So fucking what? My heart hurts because there's a beetle sitting on it! Shit, that makes my brain hurt too!"
"Now you're just not making any sense. I thought we were talking about mummification."
"We're still talking about mummification. About what it does to the heart. And that's what I can't stand."
"It's a-"
"Don't fucking say 'it's a cultural thing.' You're missing my point."
"Please elucidate, then."
"They took everything else out and left my heart in the hands of a goddamned beetle."
"..."
"?"
"I'm so sorry."
"There was nothing anyone could do about it."

No comments: