Monday, April 04, 2005

Good news, bad news, and a little of both.

The good: I did some laundry. Not all of it, but enough to hold me over for a while and allow me to sleep on clean sheets.

The bad: I've heard, but not verified, that Velvet Cacoon has done away with themselves. Not literally, but the band is reputedly no more. While I selfishly wish they would continue to record, I can respect LVG and SGL's decision, and anticipate any solo work they may do in the future. With luck, one day I may inadvertently consume drugs with LVG, and ask her where the cover of "How the Last Day Came and Stayed and Faded Into Simulated Rain" came from.

A little of both: I just spent more money than I should have at Powells.com, buying books that are not particularly easy to come by at respectable prices. Powell's managed to convince me with their reasonable price tags and willingness to provide almost everything I searched for.

Among the aforementioned books is Herman Melville's poetic magnum opus, "Clarel." I first heard about it when reading a biography of him, and until now the only copies I could find were outrageously expensive. This one cost me a mere *cough* $36.50 *cough* and will inevitably give me something to pore over for a long time. It'll certainly be easier reading than Pound's "Cantos," which is a fine volume but hardly an easily digestible one.

I truly love Herman Melville's work. While I haven't read Pierre or Redburn yet, I have devoured most of his other major works, and I would not hesitate to call him one of this country's best-ever literary offerings. The fact that I named one of my ferrets after a character from Omoo is testament enough to my appreciation of Melville, I'd reckon.

The other books I bought include Nick Blinko's The Primal Screamer, Edward Carey's Observatory Mansions, and Thomas Ligotti's My Work Is Not Yet Done. I do not expect any of them to disappoint.

No comments: