Friday, April 29, 2005

1 AM. I've got a sense of deja vu, because I'm sitting at the same ink-scarred, slightly undersized computer desk that I used back in 1997. My brother and I haven't had the chance to scrawl more email addresses, phone numbers, and metal-related slogans on the desk for the past few years, so it's definitely become a relic of the past, a testimony to those first couple years after Venezuela.

It's not just the desk, though. I came in here after my folks hit the sack and got online, and I immediately felt the same connection I used to. Not to this desk specifically, but to the net, which over the years has been a good place to turn to when you're feeling very far away from friends and familiar situations. It's been a long time since I felt that way very strongly- maybe as long as six years- but I'm almost comforted to know that despite the net's increased shittiness, there's still a glimmer of the connected feeling it once provided so regularly.

Unrelated:

-I haven't seen a single cat since I got to Mexico City. I haven't even seen many dogs, though I did take a picture of one running around the ruins at Teotihuacan.

-It's very odd being somewhere that doesn't require air conditioning and where you can (hell, have to) leave doors and windows open. My time in Houston, and with the ferrets, is obvious.

-Since my sleeping schedule has been thrown off, I spent a couple sleepless hours last night thinking about Infinite Jest, and how I should have brought it with me. I don't know that I've ever thought that way about a book, with the exception of some of Lovecraft's works, particularly Dreamlands-related ones.

-I started a short story on the plane down here, and intend on finishing it during the return trip to Texas. I'm curious to see what such a limited time frame of work will yield.

No comments: