Friday, October 22, 2004

I've had it for a couple months now, and Morgion's Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth, while not something I listen to with any great frequency, gets better every time I hear it. At times, it reminds me, of all things, of Metallica's Master of Puppets, which to this day strikes chords in me that no other album does.

Don't think that Morgion is at all like Metallica, though. Far from it. Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth is a slow, doomy record, but not of the Cathedral/Sabbath variety. It's much more in tune with, say, old My Dying Bride material, i.e., doomdeath, which is something I haven't listened to in years, but still plucks certain heartstrings. If you're not a metal fan, I can't really describe this album (or any of the metal albums I rave about, for that matter), but that's not important. If you want a late-night/early morning experience that doesn't involve your standard soundtrack, you may want to pick this up, especially if the weather is cool, the sky is grey, and you're willing to let your consciousness move into more fantastical realms. This all sounds cliche, but I'll be damned if it's not the truth as I see it, which may not be aligned with any universal truth, but, I like to think, actually is on some level.


No comments: