Sunday, August 22, 2004

This is my third post, I believe, of the night/morning. Not having anything better to do, and not really wanting to write fiction at the moment (although I was pretty gung-ho about it a couple hours ago), I will now comment upon Bal-Sagoth.

Simply put: FUCK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO DO NOT APPRECIATE THE SOUNDS OF EPIC METAL BARBARIAN FANTASY!

Bal-Sagoth discography and related commentary:

A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria (1994)
I have some MP3s of this album, but to be honest, I don't know that I've given them much attention.

Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule (1996)
Bad-ass, but not my favorite. That said, songs like "To Dethrone the Witch-Queen of Mytos K'Unn (The Legend of the Battle of Blackhelm Vale)" are epic, head-banging, sword-swinging masterpieces.

Battle Magic (1998)
The first Bal-Sagoth album I bought. While the home of some true gems, it's not as consistent as I'd like, though the title track, "A Tale From the Deep Woods," and "Return to the Praesidium of Ys" are incredible.

The Power Cosmic (1999)
Solid, but it cannot compare to....

Atlantis Ascendant (2001)
Theatrically Lovecraftian in scope, this album contains such brilliant songs as "The Dreamer in the Catacombs of Ur," "In Search of the Lost Cities of Antarctica," and the creepy instrumental "The Ghosts of Angkor Wat."

I can't wait until Britain's most bombastic outfit puts out another record. I can't really pick a favorite from their existing albums, but suffice to say that playing favorites isn't necessary. Bal-Sagoth is a totality, and should be experienced as such.

For a writer, I sure spend a lot of time talking about music.

No comments: