Sunday, August 01, 2004

Friday night I found out I was supposed to go to my uncle's place the following day, since my pops is leaving for Mexico City shortly. I was not aware of this before then, and I'd already made plans with AJ. I ended up staying in Houston, and did see her for a little while. When I woke up on Saturday, however, I felt pretty bad; some chills, a general lack of energy, and a swimming head. Needless to say, being ill killed my plans with AJ, so I ended up missing out on the company of two different people and feeling like a real dick about it.

I got some rest, drank some tea, returned my long-overdue library books, and watched a movie with Sara and Matt (Bowling for Columbine, incidentally- not bad at all, I must say). By the end of the night, which came at four AM, I felt better than I had twelve hours earlier, and this morning, er, afternoon, I feel pretty much back to normal, although there are lingering traces of whatever hit me yesterday.

Aborted plans and illness aside, yesterday was unexpectedly satisfying. Ever since I began working nights and being forced to spend long stretches of time alone, I haven't often felt very content with life. Partly forced isolation from my friends, partly not having done any writing or anything related to it, and partly a low-level feeling of disappointment with myself for not doing what needs to be done with myself, the past month has been kind of rough, but I haven't succumbed to despair, or even drunk more than I usually would during psychological dry spells. I'm happy about this, as it implies that I'm slowly moving in the right direction. I don't know what direction that is, but as long as I'm on the right road, I'll be all right.

Next Saturday I'm going to play Call of Cthulhu with Sean and Ted, and next Sunday I'm going to see Judas Priest, Slayer, and Black Label Society with my brother and AJ. In the middle of next week, Brant Bjork and the Bros are coming to town, so I will see them as well. The following weekend I will turn 25, and despite having doubted the personal value of the past year at times, I think being 24 hasn't really been that bad. 25 should be better, given that it's a multiple of five and I'm aware that I need to recalibrate my sense of idleness so that it doesn't seep into places it doesn't belong all the time.

And now, a beer.


No comments: