Tuesday, October 21, 2003

MACROSOLUTIONS TO MEGAPROBLEMS

(I've decided to start giving a title to all my entries here, as I did in the old days, except this time they'll be a little more pertinent.)

I'm making the first steps toward getting myself out of the rut that is post-graduation working life. Lately I've been thinking about going back to school to get a Master's degree in library science, and most people think it's a good idea. I've got a buddy up at UNT who's getting his, and my folks are, expectedly, very supportive of the idea. Not only do I love libraries, but it's a field with plenty of opportunities, and I think I'd actually enjoy the work. Another benefit would be the ability to escape academia, which an MA in history or English wouldn't really give me.

So now I'm waiting to get my application materials from UNT, which is my only option if I stay in Texas to get the degree. It'll suck being in Denton, but I've got friends in the area, and I can get my degree pretty quickly. This is the first really good opportunity I've had in a while, and I think it'll work out nicely.

On other fronts, I got to fire an AK-47 this weekend, and while I'm no expert in small arms, I was thoroughly impressed by the weapon's simplicity and ease of use. Too bad I didn't bring any damned ear protection; even now, not quite 72 hours later, my hearing's not up to snuff.

Here's to my parents, my girlfriend, my brother, Voivod, pipe tobacco, Erik Davis, Matt and Holly, the Quintessential Hipster, and R.A. Salvatore: everyone and everything that's helped me through a pretty rough week.

No comments: