Wednesday, October 22, 2003

LLEDR A GWLAD

I don't recall when it was, but I once saw a news program that berated Mexican-Americans for supporting the Mexican football team when they played the US. The argument was that since the Mexican supporters had ostensibly become American citizens, they were somehow obligated to root for the US. I found it to be a ridiculous argument. If, for example, I was to suddenly move to Boston, would I have to cheer for the Red Sox? (Never mind the fact I hate baseball- this isn't about that.) Would I be considered some kind of traitor if the Red Sox played the Houston Astros, and I was all for the Astros winning? Anyone who would say yes is a fool, end of story.

However, it seems perfectly acceptable to go for the team that knocked yours out of the running. To continue with the above example, if the Red Sox beat the Astros, I would be expected to root for whomever played the Red Sox afterwards. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," I suppose.

I mention this because I'm supporting Wales, and not the United States, in the Rugby World Cup. If- and this is a very big if, because it's pretty much impossible- Wales and the US faced off in the championship, I'd be happy with the outcome, no matter who won. However, having seen the US rugby team in action, and observing their current standings in the World Cup (beaten by Fiji, for God's sake!), and, frankly, having more affinity for Welsh rugby than American, I'm going for Wales. Therefore, I'm apparently unpatriotic- unless Wales plays Fiji and wins, in which case it's fine to support the Dragons. The logic of sports and nationalism makes no sense to me.

Well, Cymru is my team, and that's that. Rygbi Cymraeg- buddugol i 2003!

(To any Welshmen reading my Welsh- forgive my probably poor grammar.)

No comments: