Wednesday, September 10, 2003

I really, really, really like the way William Gibson writes. Not just his novels, but everything: I want to say his writing is cool, but I can't, because that's not right (and not just becaused it's an overused word). Crystalline, maybe? I don't know. I do know it's fucking slick, and the writer in me wishes I could write such fucking sharp, smooth sentences. Christ, the man's good.

Another crafter of fine word structures, albeit in an entirely different way, is Kool Keith. Listen to his Dr. Octagon project and you'll know what I mean. The man's out there, or at least plays the role to the hilt, and his strange fixations and wide vocabulary make his words build images. Alien gynecologist computer science- textbook throwback crazy images. His words constitute the projections into man's mind of an alternate universe so thoroughly different than ours that all one can do is sit back and revel in it all.

I wonder what you'd get if you crossed William Gibson with Kool Keith. It's fucking mind-boggling!

Take a guess what I've been doing:

"You recognize, so what? I turn invisible, make myself clear, reappear to you visual."

Of course, then comes the inevitable:

"disappear and get zapped like an android,"

and a statement to those in denial:

"face the fact I fly on planets everyday."

This isn't even the wackiest shit that Dr. Octagon spews. Hot damn, this shit is great.


No comments: