Thursday, September 18, 2003

I haven't read any of his books, but I have been reading everything on his website. He's Jim Goad, nominally famous in certain circles for harsh, accurate, and unforgiving writing about the wretchedness of humanity, as well as for woman-beating. He reminds me of a really vitriolic, unapologetic Joe Bob Briggs, or a more writerly Sean Miliff. Go read his shit; I guarantee you'll find more than a few things that will offend you, mainly because you won't want to admit that you secretly agree with Goad's take on things.

In the meantime, I'm going to chase this cup of cold coffee with a cigarette and get back to work on my current novel, which deals with people who are nothing like Jim Goad at all: nice, middle-class geeks with standard-issue suburban problems. In many ways, now that I think about it, there's something repellent about this work in progress.

No comments: