Sunday, November 13, 2022

"A career with the spaceship pays good, and the benefits kill too."

Your humble corpse has recently taken a job as a union organizer. I don't talk much about personal shit here anymore, unlike my early (and prolific) days of blogging. I've been content with this blog being a translation/occasional metal review outlet for the past decade or so, but now I'm excited about helping working folks build power, and I want to talk about that, too.

Keen eyes might recognize this post's title as coming from a YTCracker song. That dude's interest in cryptocurrency is dumb as fuck (crypto is a scam, and anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you shit, and by shit I mean their worthless crypto investments), but goddamn, he still spits quality nerdcore rhymes, and "Bitcoin Baron" is a banger even if it's an anthem for suckers. Just assume that the titular spaceship in this post is a union job, and you're good.

Don't buy cryptocurrency. Unionize your job. Stick with your friends and coworkers. Don't let your boss convince you that they're on your side.

Stay awake. Coffee, energy drinks, or expired Surge all do the trick. Just don't let your boss, or someone else's, tell you that you owe them shit, because you don't. They exist because of your work, not the other way around. You're the one sitting up late in a computer lab, server room, or data center, making sure shit happens; your boss can't do what you're doing. You know that even more than I do. I wish I'd had a union when I was a labbie, or a call center chump. We all deserve better lives.

If you want to organize a union where you work, hit me up, or contact the Emergency Workplace Organizing Committee.

If you want to give all this shit some thought, please do. I've been known to kick back. You should, too. That's where the good thinking is at.

DAS

No comments: