Sunday, October 23, 2005

Conquering das Schnitzelberg

Friday night I went to see Opeth, Pelican, and Fireball Ministry at the Meridian. I dig the venue, even though $3.50 for a Lone Star is kinda steep, and all the bands kicked ass. I'd heard about Pelican here and there, but never listened to them until now. I was highly impressed, and picked up their album The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw, which I'd recommend to anyone who's fond of metal/post-rock instrumentals. Opeth was better than the last time I saw 'em, mainly because they didn't play as much stuff off of Deliverance and Damnation. They even opened with my favorite song off their new record, namely "The Baying of the Hounds." Good times all around.

I spent Saturday visiting Matt and Holly at their new place in the Hoodlands. I went up there with Linda, since she hadn't met 'em yet, and everyone present thoroughly enjoyed themselves. We ate dinner at Alpenhaus, which was even better than I remembered it; the Oktoberfest celebration added to the experience, since Spaten Oktoberfest beer was $11 a pitcher, and there were a couple cool musicians providing the finest in accordion/guitar German music. The guitarist was a German-turned-American (he came over here in 1960 (!)), and part of their repertoire was Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" in German. Sehr gut, y'all.

So, yeah, life's been all right. Same ol' shit for the most part, but that's no surprise. Been trying to write more in the way of short stories lately, as well as tapping away ever so slowly at Unheimlich. Reading tons of shit, too, and spending lots of, but not enough, time with Linda. All in, yours truly is doin' all right. It's casual.

No comments: