Friday, July 09, 2004

I read BoingBoing every day. There are some interesting things to be found there, but to a large degree, it irks the living fuck out of me. You see, BoingBoing is run by a few intelligent folks that talk about shit I usually don't have very much interest in: copyright laws, the Disney company, wireless networking, blogs, and so forth. I realize that plenty of people care about these things, but I'm not usually one of them.

However, this isn't really the problem. My bitch, and Wiley Wiggins once voiced a related opinion using a Bob Black essay as a reference, is that they almost fetishize every little gadget, cultural trend, legal battle, piece of furniture, and hip blog they run across. Cory Doctorow, who's a sci-fi writer and a good one at that, has to be the worst offender. His whorish use of the adverb "screamingly" makes me want to hunt him down and tell him that NOT EVERYTHING HE GETS A KICK OUT OF IS REALLY THAT FUCKING GREAT! Another violator is Xeni Jardin, a writer for Wired among other things. She strikes me as the ultimate high-end, post-ironic hipster with an iPod and a fuckin' camera phone. BORING!

Fuck this. I'm not thinking coherently enough to make even a quasi-logical argument. Not that I need to, because this is just a near-buzzed diatribe. I have nothing personal against the BoingBoing staff; I'd just prefer to sit on the porch with a cigarette and a beer and shoot the breeze than run around talking about wifi and DRM. If some lawmaker thinks downloading songs is theft, or that using an open wifi connection is wrong, fine; there are plenty of other laws not pertaining to serious moral or ethical that suck. Just break 'em and be done with it.

I can't believe I've wasted as much time on this as I have. Fuck.

No comments: