Friday, November 04, 2005

Repetition? No matter. We're talking about one of the finest bands in rock n' roll history here.

Blue Öyster Cult.

Everyone knows I love them. Many people I know like some of their songs, and not just the ones played on classic rock radio ("(Don't Fear) The Reaper," "Godzilla," "Burnin' For You"). For the most part, however, I can't think of anyone I know personally who really, really, really likes BÖC. There are plenty of strangers who do, and I'm not just talking about internet nerds; Mike Watt of the Minutemen is a vocal BÖC fan, and Martin Popoff, of Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles magazine fame, wrote a goddamned book about the band- and a spectacularly cool one, I might add. My lament is that I have nobody in my life who could (or would), say, sit down and discuss that while Mirrors may be a slack follow-up to a follow-up of a record, it's still none too shabby, and listen to me argue that the cover art is fucking cool as hell, in the way that the cover of Judas Priest's American release of Point of Entry is cool.

And this is my complaint about my friends. Not because they're shitty friends, or philistines, or whatever, but because none of them really give a fuck about Blue Öyster Cult. Be thankful, fuckers, that that is pretty much my sole complaint with most of you, and that you can remedy it quite easily: listen to BÖC songs other than the radio hits, and embrace the incredibly brilliant combination of rock n' roll/metal/songwriting/idiosyncrasy/sci-fi/"occult"ism/laser action (to name a few elements) that is Blue Öyster Cult.

While you're at it, read Martin Popoff's amazing song-by-song breakdown of BÖC's discography, and WEEP at the genius of the band and their compatriots.

ON YOUR FEET...
OR ON YOUR KNEES...
THE
BLUE
ÖYSTER
CULT!





"Your power is my drug."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to check out BOC for a long time. What album do you recommend starting off with? Do you like Yes at all? I'm by no means a fan - but they've got some good songs, some pretty ridiculous sci-fi references and some killer cover art.

Anonymous said...

whatever, I do really like BOC..alot!
I hope you know that..