Monday, September 12, 2005

If it's about food, is it really trivial?

For months now, I've bought Vavel sauerkraut from Poland. It's more expensive than American brands, but it's also very crisp and keeps well.

Yesterday I went to Fiesta to do some grocery shopping and grabbed my standard jar of Vavel sauerkraut. I noticed that there were orange bits in it, but the label said that the only ingredients were, as usual, cabbage and salt. Really? Is there no word in Polish for "carrots"? 'Cause you could've fooled me- those orange bits sure looked and tasted like carrots. The 'kraut was less crisp, and sweeter, than usual, but don't get me wrong; I'm still buying this particular brand. I'm simply curious about the change in recipe that's so clearly there.

Oh, and by the way, English bar managers with mad literary knowledge, good looks, and senses of humor really know how to make a dude's day.

No comments: