Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Four days off from the drudgery mill

I spent the last four days actually doing things, which was quite a change from my usual routine of sluggishness and loafing.

Friday: Hung out with Scott, Andy, and Dave at Niko Niko's, bought a bunch of wine to take to my mom, and closed out the evening with Linda.

Saturday: Went to my uncle's place, where I saw him and my folks. My mom had arranged a gathering in celebration of my uncle turning 70, so there were about a dozen and a half good East Texas folks there, all sitting around under the trees drinking beer and telling stories. Good times were had by all, and the hummingbirds were out in force, which was quite entertaining.

Sunday: Stayed at my uncle's later than usual, because my mom and Tracey and I opened a couple bottles of wine and everyone ended up sitting at the dining table shootin' the shit and taking photographs. I also borrowed my uncle's copy of John Thomason's Fix Bayonets! and Other Stories, which will undoubtedly provide hours of good reading. Got home, and despite my exhaustion, spent the evening with Linda drinking beer at the Harp and coffee at my house.

Monday: I'd already taken the day off to see High on Fire, and Linda had invited me to play D&D with her friends, so it looked like my day was good to go. Unfortunately, the D&D game was canceled, so Linda and I just loafed around at her place, playing with her holy terror of a new kitten. Early in the afternoon, Matt Pike called me told me he'd put me on the guest list for the show- score! Scott, Tracey, Linda, and I assembled at the Engine Room around nine, watched HoF, and then pounded back shots and jawed with Matt Pike. It was still early, so Linda and I went to Poison Girl, had another beer, and came back here to let some of the booze wear off before she went home.

It's time to drag my carcass to work, so any further anecdotes will come later. Suffice to say it's been a hell of a weekend.

No comments: