Monday, May 09, 2005

I had a good time in Austin, with the exception of the CD player getting stolen from my brother's Jeep and the three-hour drive home through pouring rain. Peter Beste's black metal photo exhibit was solid, and I splurged and bought the book of said photos. I'd be willing to bet that it's the only book in existence with packaging that unfolds into an inverted cross, and it will become the third book that I have that would make an excellent coffee-table book, along wih Van Burnham's Supercade and David Lynch's Images.

While in Austin, I stayed with Nick, who's working on Richard Linklater's film adaptation of Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly. He showed us around the studio and so forth, and it was pretty sweet. Being both a Linklater and PKD fan, I can tell you that the movie will not disappoint.

Tonight Tracey wanted to see British Sea Power, and not being particularly interested in sitting around doing nothing, I went with her and my brother to Mary Jane's. I was very impressed by the band, their sartorial choices aside. At shows like that one, i.e. those I wouldn't normally go to on my own because the music isn't my usual cup of coffee, I find myself thinking a lot, which is a good thing. British Sea Power had some really good songs, and the sound quality was about as good as one could hope for, so I spent a good part of the evening thinking about writing and the play of emotions I get from different types of music. I would've written down those thoughts, but I lacked a suitable surface upon which to balance my notebook, and I wanted to just enjoy the thoughts as a result of being at those particular space-time coordinates. Thankfully, I recall enough of those thoughts to work them into my writing sooner or later.

As usual, it's time to write and then watch some Buffy. Adios.

No comments: