Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I'm all moved into my new place in the Heights with Sara, and I've got no complaints. Actually, I do have some: our heater either overworks itself or lies dormant, I have no internet access, and my computer refuses to accept upgrades or run the program that would allow me to have internet access. That said, all is well.

I was talking to my dad yesterday and he, like myself, thinks China is this century's coming superpower. In my last post I mentioned not being much of a multiculturalist, at least in the common, politically limpid sense, but I do try to understand other cultures that either interest me or stand to seriously change the world we live in. China qualifies as both. The government there is poised to march into and dominate the future upon a road of corpses, mainly those of Chinese citizens. Unlike some countries, China doesn't even seem interested in pretending it's got any other agenda. Whether or not the Chinese Communist Party will ever disappear or at least mutate into something a little less repulsive is a mystery to me, but it'll be interesting to see how it all goes down.

On an unrelated note, I went to Macy's yesterday with Sara, and while she bought makeup, I examined the sheer amount of design that goes into creating a product line. My feelings about consumerism and advertising aside, I was quite impressed by what I saw. Some of those cosmetics were packaged and presented pretty damned stylishly, and I think I can kind of understand the preoccupation with design and packaging some folks I know have. Very interesting.

No comments: