Monday, February 06, 2023

Alberto Estima de Oliveira — O Diálogo do Silêncio / The Dialogue of Silence 18

Jesus, I'm not happy with how this translation turned out. It might not be so bad if I liked the original more; maybe I don't understand it, but I don't like the way it shifts gears. I also had a hard time deciding to go with "being" or "standing" for "estando," since English doesn't have a word that encapsulates both meanings like Portuguese does.

Fuck it. This'll have to do for now.

DAS

-----

18


por vezes acontece-me o silêncio
e nesse nada haver afasto-me de mim

então surpreendo-me no espanto
de não estar

não estando    vou indo
na tal berma
as margens do caminho

esvoaço
geralmente ao entardecer
na claridade da noite

caminho sempre

a primavera existe
no mais profundo inverno

há um frio interior
que se transforma
com o calor do sangue

(rosas vermelhas)


-----


18

at times silence befalls me
and in that nothingness    i have to run from myself

then i am amazed by the wonder
of non-being

not being    i'm off
along a certain edge
of the roadside

i drift along
usually at dusk
in the brightness of the night

always wandering

springtime exists
in the deepest winter

there is an inner cold
that becomes
with the warmth of blood

(red roses)



No comments: