Monday, February 09, 2015

Agent Jeffries was right.

As I'm sure you know, Twin Peaks is due to return in 2016. This is huge, huge news for me, but rather than speculate about what it'll be like or even whether it's a good idea, I'm just going to wait patiently and, as the rambling anecdote below should illustrate, revel in the mysteriously wonderful/wonderfully mysterious nature of existence.

Sometime last week, while listening to Stars of the Lid's "Music for Twin Peaks Episode #30", I thought about the fact that said song imagines something I never expected to exist. Sure, David Lynch has made remarks over the years about revisiting Washington's most famous fictional town, but how likely did any of us think that really was? And then, last year, came the news that Lynch and Mark Frost are going to write and direct another nine episodes of my favorite TV show ever.

"Music for Twin Peaks Episode #30" is now no longer a reference to something that never was or would be. While the new episodes of Twin Peaks will probably not start with #30, there will finally be something after episode #29, and thus the SOTL song, unless it's used in the show (which is unlikely, I think, as long as Angelo Badalamenti is still alive) becomes the music of an alternate history. Not long ago we lived in a world in which there never was an episode #30; now, we have its equivalent on the horizon, but it won't be what Stars of the Lid envisioned in 1997 (the year, incidentally, that I got into Twin Peaks). What was once a song for a nonexistent event becomes a song for a different nonexistent event.

This strange convergence/divergence of artistic purposes may well be proof that Agent Phillip Jeffries was right: "we live inside a dream." I think I can handle that, but then again, Dale Cooper thought he could handle the Black Lodge, and we know how that ended.

No comments: