Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Ursula K. Le Guin and José Saramago, bloggers extraordinaire

There was a post on Metafilter yesterday noting that Ursula K. Le Guin's blog is available again. I never really read it when she was working on it, but I plan on fixing that. I've been a fan of Le Guin since high school, and the world is a poorer place for her absence. Luckily, she left behind a number of amazing books, and also helped found the National Writers Union, of which I'm a member.

What's especially cool is that Le Guin was inspired to blog by none other than José Saramago, probably the most influential, or at least well-known, Portuguese writer of the last few decades. His blog (in Portuguese, of course), which I was unaware of until now, is full of good material. 

Reading these two writers' blogs makes me want to spend more time on my own. (They also make me miss William Gibson's blog, which appears to be replicating some of the visual digital rot he described in Idoru.) I'm not really working on anything else, aside from some stray translations, and in some ways I'm not really interested in writing fiction at all anymore, so posting random bullshit here should scratch what remains of the writing itch.

 

 

 

 

No comments: