Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Vimala Devi translations in the João Roque Literary Journal

Selma Carvalho at the João Roque Literary Journal has published my translations of three of Vimala Devi's poems: "Agora"/"Nowadays", "Se Eu Pudesse Guardar"/"If I Could Keep", and "Tua Boca Faminta"/"Your Starving Mouth". You can read them here. The poems all come from Devi's first poetry collection, Súria, published in 1962. I've translated it in full with Vimala's blessing, but haven't found a publisher for yet, infelizmente.

I'm very grateful for this opportunity, and I hope everyone enjoys the poems, as well as all the other great writing in the journal. Since its inception four years ago, it's been a beacon of writing by Goans and about Goa, so it's well worth your time.

Abraço,
D.A.S.


No comments: