Thursday, January 24, 2019

Some other shit that matters

I was working on a post about a classical Chinese textbook I like a whole lot, but that shit can wait. Right now I only have two things to say, neither of them related to translation, Chinese, Portuguese, or books.

1) Skateboarding rules. I've been skating a bit off and on since I quit working at the Jamail skatepark downtown almost eight years ago, but nothing more than a beer run to the convenience store, working on ollies in the driveway, or hitting the occasional parking block in the hopes of finally learning to grind or boardslide the damned things properly. Today, though, I went up to the North Houston skatepark, AKA the Spring park, for the first time since its construction a few years ago. I ate shit only once but bailed a lot, since it's fast as hell in places and I am woefully rusty when it comes to skating transition. Nevertheless, I left feeling like a fucking champ, because skateboarding does that. Also, Houston's own Pro-Designed pads deserved a shout-out, especially their wrist guards, which are the best out there, hands down. (Pun intended, since they saved me from shredding my palms earlier today, as they have many times.)

2) Listen to Yawning Man. I heard of these dudes ages ago, when they were a semi-apocryphal yet highly lauded band in the desert/stoner rock scene—and one that hadn't put out any records. They finally started releasing albums in 2005, and I finally started listening to them last year. 2010's Nomadic Pursuits is my favorite so far, though admittedly I haven't listened to the others nearly as much.

Até próxima, and take it easy, y'all.

End transmission.

No comments: