Wednesday, July 08, 2015

XXIX Curso de Verão de Língua e Cultura Portuguesa


It somehow escaped my notice until fairly recently that the Universidade de Macau, sometimes in conjunction with other institutions that support continued Lusitanian influence and culture in Macau and the rest of east Asia, has offered an intensive summer course in Portuguese for almost thirty years.  I had the good fortune to learn of the existence of this year's Curso de Verão in time to apply, and not long thereafter I was accepted, so I can inform y'all that I will be leaving for Macau shortly. I'll be there, along with a good number of other students- most of them mainland Chinese- for three weeks of classes, so not only will my Portuguese improve, but I'll get to practice Mandarin and Cantonese as well.

As you might know, Macau is the reason I started learning Portuguese in the first place. While The Peregrinations of Anacleto Stornello is set about thirty years before the Portuguese managed to talk to the Chinese into giving them a tiny peninsula upon which to dwell between trading fairs at Canton/廣州, since the Portuguese presence in Asia plays a major part in the book I ended up learning a lot about A Cidade de Nome De Deus em China anyway- enough for me to regret not making more of my first visit there, and enough for my second visit to be sufficiently reverent but all too short. This time I should be able to make at least cursory tours of all the places I wanted to see before, as well as revisit spots that didn't get ample attention last year.

When I started learning Portuguese, I began by dredging up the remains of my knowledge of Spanish in order to read Camilo Pessanha (whose grave I hope to find this time around), progressed to buying books at the Livraria Portuguesa in Macau, moved on to taking Portuguese classes with the fine folks at the Brazilian Arts Foundation here in town, and ultimately went to Lisbon earlier this year with my wife. We had a fantastic time, and I had the honor of meeting the man behind Macau Antigo, João Botas, who not only took the time to meet me but showed me around the headquarters of Rádio e Televisão de Portugal. Everyone I've met and everything I've read along the way has encouraged me to keep learning, and I've found something indescribably wonderful in the language itself that all but guarantees my continued study thereof. I'm confident that my time at the Universidade de Macau will only buttress my love of the language of Camões, even if the future of Portuguese in Macau remains uncertain. I hope my attendance will help sustain that particular element of Macanese culture in its own small way.

In the coming weeks I intend to keep you, caro leitor, informed of my progress and give you my thoughts on modern Macau, the university, my classmates, and everything else. I'll be writing in English and Portuguese, and maybe some Chinese as well; anything without Chinese text will also be posted to my website, though I can't guarantee that the Portuguese text won't be corrupted by SDF's ongoing problem with diacritic marks. Thanks for reading, thanks to the Department of Portuguese at the Universidade de Macau for accepting me into the program, and, more than anything, thanks to my wonderful wife for knowing how much this opportunity means to me and fully supporting my attendance.

Até logo, amigos. Até Macau.

D.A.S.

No comments: